Lightstream is a small, agile team building a complete evolution of what live video production should be: simple, powerful, collaborative, and most of all, fun. Your creativity and experience will be solving complex and exciting problems that not only drive the direction of our technology and products, but help to define new live streaming standards and technology for the future. At the core of who we are as a team is an immense passion and love for what we make, transparency, personal growth, and #goodvibes. We’re driven not just by our desire to build something truly amazing, but to build a company and culture we can be proud of.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will work closely with the entire engineering team on our core products and services directly impacting the business and customers we serve. It is critical for you to work well in cross-functional teams and have a strong leadership presence that inspires other team members. This position will participate in all aspects of the development lifecycle from specification through development to production and will have a direct impact on our core service offering. Most importantly, as we are a startup, you must be comfortable balancing business needs and time-to-market, and make tradeoffs where appropriate.
Here are some things that we’re looking for in our next team member:
- Deep knowledge and comfortable with RAII-style programming with C++11 features.
- Strong understanding of UDP and/or low latency communication.
- Extensive knowledge of graphical pipelines on Linux (FFMPEG or similar).
- Ability to write robust, high performance code along with the tooling to measure and verify it.
We get really excited about people that can meet one or more of the following:
- Production experience with SIMD-based optimizations.
- GPU-based compositing experience and experience with shader-based transforms.
- Advanced networking knowledge and experience in optimizing throughput.
- Video transport and container experience (How video is stored and transported and a focus on WebRTC or other low latency transport protocols).
- Experience dealing with distributed systems concerns like CAP/linearizability, eventual consistency & quorums.
- Production experience with microservices and/or containers.
- Experience with Elixir, Rust or Go.
- Love of functional programming.
Candidates best suited to succeed also possess:
- Great communication skills – Lightstream is a distributed team and regularly communicates via video or chat, so clear written communication & interpersonal skills are a must.
- Passion for excellence – We love what we do and strive to put out our best work every day.
- Self-driven work ethic – We’re self-starters that love taking initiative and seeing things through to completion.This is a fast-paced environment that requires self-motivation and trusts everyone to excel in their roles without heavy oversight.
- The desire to learn – Our product is very unique business is constantly evolving and has diverse needs and interests. Flexibility is key.
- Willingness to share – We believe sharing our knowledge & experiences make us better as individuals and as a team. Teaching is a critical part of our culture.